Saturday, November 7, 2009

What I Did

It's such a long history.
I've gone through the Army, college in 3 states, a photography apprenticeship in Ohio, and I've been a professional photographer in Chicago and Michigan.

Along the way I've done probably a couple dozen different jobs from truck driver to office temp to farming trying to put all the pieces together.

Finally in Nov 1999 I bought the first Nikon D1 in Northern Indiana to become Northern Indiana's first fully digital photographer. I chose to specialize in sports and action. It's fun.

I figured that people would see me at all the games and ask me to shoot their senior photos and weddings and stuff. I was wrong. Dads would come up to me at football games and say, "I wish you did senior pictures."
I'd say, "I wish you had called me."
They'd say, "Please tell my you're expensive. I just spent $1,000 on my kid."
I'd say, "I wish you had called. I would have saved you about $600"

I had gotten up to $90,000/year. I was shooting for the CCAC softball tournaments, Dutch Sport MX track in Michigan, 3 other race tracks in Indiana, countless horse shows and clubs, Indiana Percussion Association, National Barrel Horse of Indiana, South Bend's NSA national tournaments plus all the action at WCHS, Lakeview and Edgewood. Then I got the team photos for Lakeview, Edgewood and Whitko middle schools. Life was good. Busy beyond belief, but good.

Then the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment